DM17-Tankopolis – UT3 Deathmatch Map
Tankopolis is a city… built on top of a tank. DM17-Tankopolis is my take on both the Tankopolis IP and the classic DM17 map from Quake 3 recreated as a 16-player deathmatch map for Unreal Tournament 3. The map features scripted events, large and small, that bring the city to life. Tankopolis’s main cannon fires periodically at distant enemies while sky-scrappers burn from incoming fire. A bullet train speeds around the map, knocking off players who risk running along the tracks. A broken fire-hydrant spews water onto the street. Just another day in the life of a citizen of Tankopolis.
- Designed and constructed the entire level using the art assets available
- Scripted multiple events, including the cannon firing and bullet train
- Imported and implemented sounds
Development Time: ~80 hours over 3 weeks
- Recreate the excitement and frantic pace of the original DM17 in UT3 while adding new gameplay elements.
- Bring the city-tank of Tankopolis to life with scripted events like the city’s main cannon firing and a bullet train speeding through the level.
- Create a level that comfortably contains a 16 player free-for-all deathmatch in UT3
- Retain the general layout of DM17 while giving the map the feeling of being inside of a city.
- Use the movement of the cannon when firing and the train tunnel to offset the dominance of the sniper platform.
Post Mortem / Design Thoughts:
What went well
- I captured the feel of the original Quake 3 DM-17
- I managed to superimpose an environment that still feels like a city onto the odd shape and structure of DM-17
- The train scripted event was an instant hit with playtesters
What could have been better
- I wasn’t able to spend as much time fleshing out the skybox around the level as I would have liked
What I learned
- I learned a lot about level flow and layout for a multiplayer map